Monday, April 12, 2010

My Mama's Cuisine Reigns Supreme

 So this post is totally unrelated to any restaurant, but it is related to my most favorite food in the world-Vietnamese!  (Who totally saw that coming from a million miles away?)

Today I booked a trip home to Dallas for May, and I am just so excited to go home
and eat
all of this Vietnamese homecooking !!!  (It's been far too long!)

These are a few snapshots of my favorites from my last visit home:

Banh khot: made of ground rice, coconut milk, scallions and brilliantly seasoned shrimp

I usually eat two platefuls of these in one sitting.  And then some more in a couple of hours.

Little cups of love.  The outside is nice and crispy and the inside is gushy rice goodness fused with sweet and tangy coconut milk and shrimp.  One day (during my visit) I am going to learn to make these and then someday sell them at the Brooklyn Flea!

Banh baos - steamed pork buns with egg, mushroom, Chinese sausage and ground pork filling.  My mom makes these babies massive, though I can still eat multiple of these in one sitting too.

Love.

And then her infamous pork spareribs.  I can sort of make these now.  But they can never rival my mom's!
  
 I hope to learn how to make all of these again during my two week visit !  And then I can share them with you ! :)

My mom's house
Yeehaw, TX!

4 comments:

  1. excuse me, WHEN AM I COMING OVER TO GET SOME MAMA'S FOOD?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait also - dannnnnng those shrimp cups look like heaven!! and so professional! lovelovelove. can't wait for your two week trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. it will happen if you are home in texas for a year ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i literally cannot stop looking at the banh khot!!!

    ReplyDelete