Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Fountain on Locust: Ice cream parlor and much, much more...

Last week, Deirdre and I ate ourselves into oblivion at the Fountain on Locust. It was our first time there, and it will not be our last! Apparently it is the most photographed restaurant in town, and I can see why because it is utterly a different world inside. It looks like an old-fashioned parlor, and all the walls are brightly hand-painted with a fun sky scene. I asked Deirdre, "What would you call this type of art?" She answered, not missing a beat, "Art deco." Evidently someone paid attention in humanities class and someone else did not.

While the Fountain on Locust is famous for its ice cream, I walked away reeling because of the food. So let me tell you about the best grilled cheese of my life: the Royal Grille. It's described on the menu as "adult grilled cheese. white cheddar and mozzarella with Fuji apple slices and our secret touch on grilled wheat." In other words, the Royal Grille = absolute heaven.

I would do anything to know their secret, because that grilled wheat bread is incredible. It looks almost burnt here, but I assure you, it was grilled to perfection. I'm sure a whole stick of butter was used to grill this bread, but I'm of the school of thought that there can never be enough butter. Ever. And the apple slices? I knowwww! Added the most amazing crunch and sweetness to the whole ordeal.

The sandwiches come with salads or chips, and we both picked the Stutz Salad (seen above with the aforementioned best grilled cheese of my life): mandarin oranges, walnuts, baby spinach, and goat cheese with a creamy marmalade dressing. I think we all know what I left out of this salad. That's right, I kicked that goat cheese to the curb. And the salad was delicious, with just the right amount of the yummy dressing. (For those who are wondering, Deirdre loved her salad, too - goat cheese and all.)

Of course we couldn't leave without trying their famous ice cream. They make everything at the restaurant, from their hot fudge to their raspberry sauce and even their own whipped cream. The only thing they don't make is the ice cream: it comes from a family dairy in Wisconsin - how idyllic! Deirdre ordered the Bearcat: hot fudge over vanilla ice cream + caramel sauce over butter pecan all over a bed of fresh bananas and topped with whipped cream.

It looks, and is, Gigantic. And is that a candied orange peel you see topping it off? Yes it is, made with love by the good people at the Fountain. So good.

I ordered the Standing Banana Split: choco, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream scoops with raspberry sauce and hot fudge, topped with whipped cream and... a bruléed banana! (I think I just heard Han gasp!)

Hello, bruléed banana. I love you.

Deirdre with our desserts. See how huge they are? You may also notice the trail of ice cream drippings going from my side of the table to hers. I guess we know who the messy one is. Oops.

Go to the Fountain, my friends. You won't regret it!


The Fountain on Locust
3037 Locust
St. Louis, MO 63103
314-535-7800

5 comments:

  1. un.
    be.
    liev.
    able
    !!

    words cannot say
    what i feel inside right now.
    *POUT!*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh.
    that bruleed banana.
    siiiiiiiiiigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. the dribble actually looks kind of artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat at the Fountain three times a week! Thank God their food is healthy or I'd be fat by now! By the way, you're links are outdated in your review. They should be http://www.fountainonlocust.com/fountainonlocust.com/Fountain_On_Locust.html

    Try the soups next time! All house-made and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Han + Diana! We posted this link to our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FountainonLocust) & on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Fountain_Locust

    - The Fountain on Locust

    ReplyDelete