Sunday, May 5, 2013

Boston Chowda: the Best New England Clam Chowder

There are a few things that Bostonians take very seriously: the Red Sox, higher education, and clam chowder (the delicious white stuff, not that yankee orange stuff). Practically every restaurant around town hangs a sign that says, "Best Chowder." Well folks, they're all lying.

Because the best New England clam chowder can only be found at Boston Chowda. I have had chowder far and wide around this great city - at fancy and dodgy places alike - and none can beat the awesomeness of Boston Chowda.

Why? Let me show you in three pictures.




One sip of this thing, and you are in chowder heaven. The ratio of all the ingredients is perfect - plenty of (super fresh, never fishy!) clams, diced potatoes, and creamy goodness in every bite. But really, this chowder is so much more than just the sum of its parts... it's really just incredible. It's chunky, without being too chunky. It's savory, without being too salty. I don't know their secret, but I wouldn't be surprised if magic were included in the chowder-making process.

Of course, one chowder doesn't fill a girl up. One of my favorite things at Boston Chowda is probably not what they're known for - grilled cheese! I know, grilled cheese at a seafood place? Let me tell you, we're talkin' top 3 grilled cheese of life. Just look:




What stands out about this is an overwhelming yet pleasant taste of garlic in every bite. It must be a garlic butter they spread on the beautifully grilled bread. Pure genius.

And then, because I had a craving, I also ordered a lobster roll. You're going to be glad I did.





Now, with the caveat that no lobster roll could ever beat Neptune Oyster's, this is a solid roll! The mayo was not cloying, the lobster was definitely fresh, and I loved the combination of the hot grilled roll with the chilled lobster inside. I am seriously addicted to grilled buttered bread. 

So that's the story of how I spent $30+ at the mall food court on one lunch. But I think you and I can both agree that it was SO WORTH IT. Let's do it again soon!

Prudential Center Food Court
800 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02199
617-859-5904
(Two other locations: Faneuil Hall and North Andover)
Boston Chowda Co on Urbanspoon

1 comment: