Monday, March 7, 2011

Rye Meatloaf Brunch & The 2011 Armory

After being told about an unbelievable meatloaf sandwich in my neck of the Williamsburg woods, I have not been able to stop thinking about it.  Is that weird?  I've only had meatloaf twice in my entire life.  And I decided the third time should happen at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday (Who doesn't wake up and want meatloaf?)

It was time to try Rye, a dark, comfortable barestaurant located in a former factory on S 1st.

I started out with the Scotch egg, something I've only had in Portland heretofore.  Rye's version takes a southern spin on the British classic by smothering it with a creamy gravy.


I remembered how rich the Scotch egg was from Portland, and how I could not finish a whole one  (though that might have had something to do with us eating two back-to-back breakfasts that morning), but I definitely was able to finish Rye's.  The slightly crunchy sausage wrapped around the perfectly hard-boiled egg was an excellent appetizer to the main course...
I present to you the famed meatloaf sandwich made with not one but...FOUR MEATS!
((((Say what?))))
Count'm four meats! : DUCK + VEAL + SHORTRIB + PORK = MEATMAYHEM!  (So crazy, I had to bust out the colored font.)

Cue the angels singing!
As if the foot long sandwich with four meats was not enough...they had to cover the inch thick meaty mixture with FRIED ONIONS.  Cue more heavenly choir singing!
The meatloaf sandwich was really tasty.  I mean, all those meats are delicious on their own, so in the words of Charlie Sheen, "They're the best at what they do and I'm the best at what I do. And together it's like, it's on."  And it indeed was on.  The tomato saucey paste atop the sandwich added a nice overall sweetness that balanced the crispy onions and the salty fries.  A table neighbor mourned his meatloaf sandwich plate as he eyed mine because he ended up with salad instead of fries.  Aw. Sad face :(.  Don't be like him.  Remember the fries !

I want to go back for brunch sometime to try out their equally popular pork belly that is also available in a sandwich.  In fact...they even have a pork belly eggs benedict. Those angels will not be able to stop singing once I try out that sucker.

The meal was perfect fuel for my afternoon activity at The Armory Show - one of the most fantastic annual art exhibitions ever.  They fill two entire piers full of art - one for modern art and another dedicated fully to contemporary.  This has nothing to do with food, really, but I just have to mention it for people looking for recommended activities in the city.  And in case you're interested in knowing what is going on in the art world currently, here are some quick snapshots of my favorites and some "intriguing" pieces:
beautiful tiered layers of suspended wood framed circles
love these little thick paint schmeared people
giant maps filled with Disney character stickers

Shadowboxed style 3-D realism
A clown somewhere is looking for this


One of the best, made out of plaster fully attached to the wall.
Ultimate fave and fitting for this blog post!
Made with lots of bits and pieces of wood nailed into the greater piece. 
I love meat!

247 S. 1st Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211
Rye on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods. Add a side of creamy mashed potatoes and I'm good.

    The art show looks so cool! Thanks for sharing the pictures as it's pretty unlikely I'd be able to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot cannot cannot believe that the meatloaf had so many meats in it!! boggles my mind. and it's just so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried onions make everything better! The art show looks really cool, i bet when you saw the orange thing you thought it was a giant cheetos!

    ReplyDelete