Sunday, February 13, 2011

Shake Shack: The Peanut Butter Bacon Burger + Thin Mint Custard

Shake Shack announced that they were bringing back the peanut butter bacon burger this weekend: their signature salt crusted burger patty was to be topped with Usinger's cajun bacon and peanut butter sauce.  I know.  Your reaction is probably the same as my reaction: guhhhross.

And as I walked in the single file line to order this burger, I continued to think guhhhross.

And as I gazed deep into its thick cut bacony eyes, the wafts of peanut butter lifted into my flat little nose, and I started giving in, mmm, I love peanut butter..

You know you're intrigued.
The bacon was surprisingly really thick and very salty.  Almost too salty.  I almost wished it was slightly sweetened (a la sugar cured bacon from Clinton St).  But the main star was that peanut butter sauce which complemented the Shake Shack burger patty perfectly.  You bite into the soft potatoesque bun, through the thick salt cut of bacon, and then through the signature Shake Shack patty which after moments of chewing in your mouth, you taste the subtle peanut flavor that is saying, "Hey, I'm here, and I think you should like me hanging out for awhile."  And I did.  I think it's totally worth trying to even the most serious doubters.
After tackling that badboy, I remembered I had ordered a single dip custard of their February - Saturday flavor of the day: Thin Mint!

Thin mint custard flavor of the day

I had kind of hoped for Girl Scout cookie pieces inside the custard, but that is sooo Ben & Jerry's and not Shake Shack.   Their rendition ends up being a really nice, smooth mint flavor, which is subtle, hanging out casually in the backdrop of the rich chocolate stage.  It's a nice way to round out the meal (since mint helps with digestion and all that).
Keep the disgusting burger combos coming, Shake Shack!

Shake Shack (multiple locations)
366 Columbus Ave
New York, NY
Shake Shack on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than melty peanut butter. I can imagine the burger tasted great. And I'm not the biggest fan of thin mint cookies but that custard does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did not realize how THICK that bacon is!! wonderfulness. and i am so excited for those thin mints to arrive at my door! ;) i want that shake.

    ReplyDelete